Arapahoe County Sheriff
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Seasonal Road Maintenance Worker - Peoria
at Arapahoe County Sheriff
**Notice: This position is "Continuous" We will be interviewing candidates on an on-going basis and therefore this posting will be closed once all candidates are selected. If you are interested in this job, do not wait to apply!**
Arapahoe County's Public Works and Development Department is an American Public Works Association Accredited Agency, the first County in Colorado to obtain this status. Within the Department of Public Works and Development, the Road and Bridge Division is seeking a Seasonal Road Maintenance Worker to join our team.
ACG's Public Works & Development Department is looking for Temporary Road Maintenance Workers to assist with their Road and Bridge Operations at their Peoria Shop (7600 S. Peoria St.) in Englewood. You will learn a variety of activities such as flagging, right of way maintenance, small equipment operation and road maintenance.
These are perfect jobs for those seeking entry level work.
These are temporary positions with no benefits; however, they may work into a regular position for the right person.
These positions also require people who has the ability to work evenings, holidays, weekends and on-call for snow or other emergency events.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Performs semi-skilled and unskilled highway and other road and street maintenance duties either manually or with a variety of hand tools. Will also train for Road Maintenance Workers duties. (This position is temporary in nature).
The following duty statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other non-essential or marginal duties that may be required. The County reserves the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of the job at any time.
- Performs manual labor duties requiring the use of hand tools such as shovels, picks, rakes, chain saws, axes, hand saws, power drills, post hole diggers, and up to 90 pound jack hammer.
- Trains on light equipment such as patch truck, patch roller, and forklift.
- Performs preparation and patching of damaged roadway areas with asphalt including shoveling, raking and tamping of the asphalt. Shovels/removes old asphalt. May clean storm drains as needed.
- Performs the duties of a flagger during traffic control situations such as controlling traffic at the work site by flagging and/or placing traffic control devices. Assists with traffic control set up and removal at the start and end of each shift.
- This position is required to work on an on-call basis for winter storm duty and other emergency conditions at all hours of the day or night. Shift work for snowstorms may require 16 hour shifts or longer based on the severity of the storm.
- Checks and maintains proper fluid levels and air pressure of equipment and vehicles.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Basic knowledge to properly and safely operate and maintain assigned hand tools.
- Knowledge of safety rules, regulations and practices.
- Ability to perform strenuous manual labor as required for extended periods of time.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, other employees, and the general public.
- High school graduation or GED equivalent.
- One year experience with the use of hand tools such as shovels, picks, rakes, chain saws, axes, hand saws, power drills, post hole diggers, hand mowers, weed trimmers, and 90 pound jack hammer is required.
- Experience in general road work, truck driving, or light equipment operation is valued.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have a current "R" driver's license. Possession of a valid Colorado CDL Class "B" driver's license at time of appointment is valued.
- Flagger Certification preferred. Must be able to obtain flagger certification within 10 working days of appointment. Flagger training is provided
- Pre-employment testing includes an acceptable current motor vehicle check, background check, physical capabilities test, and DOT physical and drug screen.
- Supplemental Information
- Works under the general supervision the Road and Bridge Division Manager and the Operations Manager. Direct supervision is received from the Road & Bridge Supervisor and/or lead worker as assigned.
- Contacts are with supervisors, management, peers, subordinates, elected officials, customers, and/or vendors. Contacts require the ability to exercise a high degree of interpersonal skills to influence persons at all levels. Incumbent is accountable for the results of the contact.
- Position requires exposure to all weather conditions, high noise levels, dust, fumes and other road traffic conditions.
- Works on an on-call basis for winter storm duty and other emergency conditions at all hours of the day or night.
The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position.
- Heavy manual labor in and out of doors is typical with this position.
- Spends 20% of the time sitting and 80% of the time either standing or walking.
- Frequently lifts, carries, pulls or pushes up to 90 lbs.
- Uses cart dolly, or other equipment to carry in excess of 80 lbs.
- Frequently stoops, kneels, balances reaches, crawls and crouches while performing work duties in both an outdoor and indoor setting.
- Verbal and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication through automated devices, such as telephones, radios, etc.
- Constant use of eye, hand and finger coordination enabling the use of machinery, equipment, and tools in a field setting.
- Visual capacity enabling constant operations and safe use of equipment and vehicles.
Occasionally: Activity exists less than 1/3 of the time.
Frequently: Activity exists between 1/3 and 2/3 of the time.
Constantly: Activity exists more than 2/3 of the time.
Toll Free Applicant Technical Support: If you experience technical difficulty with the NEOGOV system (e.g. uploading or attaching documents to your online application) call NEOGOV technical support at 855-524-5627 Mon-Fri between 6 am and 6 pm (Pacific Time). Helpful hints: if you are having difficulty uploading or attaching documents to your application first, ensure your documents are PDF or Microsoft Word files, and second, close the document before you attempt upload (attach) it.