City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Housing Rehabilitation Specialist
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
- Hiring Range for this position is $23.18- $27.78 per hour. Based off education and experience.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The mission of Neighborhood Services is to maintain community appearance and enhance the quality of life in Aurora's neighborhoods. This is accomplished through a combination of community outreach, code enforcement, animal services and numerous neighborhood improvement programs and services.
Community Development activities target a wide range of issues, from basic needs such as the availability of affordable housing for families and individuals, to overall community quality of life issues such as the reduction or elimination of blighting influences in Original Aurora, which is the city's historical business and residential district. In addition, Community Development addresses economic opportunities within the community, the provision of support services for all residents, and the prevention of homelessness.
The City of Aurora is now accepting applications for a Rehabilitation Specialist I to plan, coordinate, and oversee community development housing and/or commercial rehabilitation programs funded under CDBG and HOME federal programs. The selected individual will perform plans and specifications reviews, field construction inspections, and project management functions during all phases of City projects funded via Community Development Block Grants for the Community Development Division of the Neighborhood Services Department.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implements housing/community development programs for housing rehabilitation and community revitalization
- Maintains project file records, plans and coordinates daily activities, reviews and approves contracts and disbursement funds
- Attends or conducts pre-bid conferences to answer questions and to brief contractors on expectations
- Develops estimates and prepares bid packages, monitors expenditures
- Performs inspections of Single Family homes, Multi-family projects and Commercial properties for code compliance and necessary repairs
- Counsels clients on work required and code issues
- Conducts walk-throughs with contractors, participates in pay meetings with contractors, conducts contract closings, monitors construction work for contract compliance and mediates contract disputes
- May make verbal presentations to citizens and groups
- Performs other duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Associates Degree in planning, construction management, or a directly related field is preferred.
- At least 1 year progressively responsible experience in construction.2 years of Construction experience (Preferred)
- Must have recent single, multifamily, and/or commercial housing construction experience.
- Experience with HUD, CDBG and HOME Rehab Programs is (preferred).
- Bilingual in Spanish is (preferred).
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Knowledge: Knowledge of construction management; building codes; building materials and techniques; lead and asbestos regulations; loan and underwriting practices and procedures; community development programs, and corresponding regulations preferred; personal computers with related software applications.
Abilities: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; handle sensitive or stressful situations with tact and diplomacy; read and interpret engineering reports and drawings; monitor and oversee the work of others.
Skills: Public speaking and strong interpersonal skills.
Licenses, Certificates, and/or Equipment Required:
- Must be able to obtain a Colorado State Licensed Lead Base Paint Inspector and Risk Assessor within 12 months of hire.
- Must have Colorado Driver's License with a good driving history to drive a City vehicle.
This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical Demands: Sedentary to light physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 25 pounds; occasional lifting and carrying; frequent walking and standing both indoors and outdoors; must be able to climb ladders and crawl into small/confined spaces; speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens; vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents; hand/eye coordination for operation of computer system and motor vehicle.
Work Environment: Works both indoors and outdoors in varying types of weather. May work in a dusty and/or noisy environment.
Equipment Used: Uses standard office equipment including a personal computer system and must be proficient with Excel, Word, and Power point computer programs.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, military service and include related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies