City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Maintenance & Operations Technician - Traffic
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
Public Works, Traffic Division
The Traffic Division is responsible for daily operation and maintenance of traffic control devices such as traffic signals, traffic control signs, and pavement markings. They are looking for a Traffic Technician who will perform skilled manual and technical work involved in the control, maintenance, and operation of the City traffic control system and assist with work planning by scheduling, organizing, and securing materials and equipment for the accomplishment of assigned tasks.
The City of Aurora is pleased to offer:
- Additional advancement opportunities are available through Career Progressions and Promotions
- Training assistance through our online Learning Management System as well as a Tuition Assistance Program
- An annual bonus up to $500 (paid in December if eligibility criteria is met) for individuals whose job requirement is to maintain a CDL
- Boot (steel toe or other safety toe boots are required) allowance in the amount of $150.00 after successful completion of your introductory period and then yearly on your anniversary date
- The Public Works Department will provide uniforms after successful completion of your introductory period
- The Public Works Department will provide all Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
The City takes pride in seeing our employees succeed. Join us for a career, not just a job.
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts preventative maintenance inspections of traffic control equipment
- Makes minor repairs
- Coordinates and schedules routine maintenance activities
- Operates or uses a variety of tools and equipment related to traffic control maintenance function
- Assists in performing skilled maintenance and construction tasks including the installation and testing of traffic signal control equipment
- Operates diagnostic equipment
- Maintains various records such as equipment, time, supplies, and parts inventory Assists in training other employees in routine maintenance tasks
- Works flexible schedules that include overtime, standby, and call duties
- May act as leadworker
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- At least two (2) years of traffic signal control equipment experience
- Knowledge of methods, techniques, tools, and equipment used in performing traffic control maintenance functions and applicable safety practices and procedures
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
Train and instruct other employees
Keep and maintain accurate records
Organize and schedule tools, materials, and equipment to accomplish tasks
- Work overtime and call back duty
- Skill in the use of tools, specialized equipment, methods, and safety practices common to traffic signal and traffic control maintenance
Licenses and Certifications:
- Colorado Class B Commercial Driver's License with good driving history, required
- IMSA Signal Level II certification, required
- IMSA Work Zone Traffic Control Safety certification, required
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Moderate to heavy physical requiring ability to lift a maximum of 100 pounds, with assistance
- Regular lifting and carrying
- Considerable walking and standing
- Frequent performance of activities requiring a full range of body movement including bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and climbing
- Hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of hand and power tools and motor vehicle
- Vision to read manuals and control instruments
- Hearing/listening for troubleshooting and warning signals
- Some speech communication to provide technical information and communicate with employees
- Works primarily outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to noise, dust, fumes, street traffic and materials used in traffic maintenance such as paint and chemicals
- Operates equipment and vehicles common to traffic signal repair and maintenance
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and attach related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.