City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Maintenance & Operations Worker - Traffic
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
Public Works, Traffic Division
The Traffic Division is responsible for daily operation and maintenance of traffic control devices such as traffic signals, traffic control signs, and pavement markings. They are looking for a Traffic Worker who will perform unskilled or semi-skilled maintenance and/or operational activities.
The City of Aurora is pleased to offer:
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) training
- Once an employee has successfully completed training, testing, and obtains their CDL, they will be eligible for a 2.5% increase to their base pay
- An annual bonus up to $500 (paid in December if eligibility criteria is met) for individuals whose job requirement is to maintain a CDL
- Additional advancement opportunities are available through Career Progressions and Promotions
- Training assistance through our online Learning Management System as well as a Tuition Assistance Program
- Boot (steel toe or other safety toe boots are required) allowance in the amount of $150.00 after successful completion of your introductory period and then yearly on your anniversary date
- The Public Works Department will provide uniforms after successful completion of your introductory period
- The Public Works Department will provide all Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
The City takes pride in seeing our employees succeed. Join us for a career, not just a job.
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
?The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) training
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in the installation, repair, and maintenance of traffic signals and other traffic control devices including signal pole painting, signal lens washing, controller cabinet painting, and signal bulb changing
- Places barricades to control traffic through work zones
- Operates and maintains specialized hand and power tools related to traffic maintenance
- Operates and works from aerial lift equipment at heights up to 40 feet
- Loads and unloads tools and materials needed to perform traffic maintenance tasks
- May be assigned duties such as traffic counting, shop and yard cleanup, equipment and material inventory and preventive maintenance work
- May assist with snow removal activities
- May operate automotive and/or maintenance equipment periodically
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- At least one (1) year of related manual labor experience
- Prefer experience in public works functions and/or construction
- No specialized knowledge required
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods of time, outside and in all weather conditions
- Understand oral and written instructions
- Operate or receive training on various types of maintenance and construction equipment
- Work overtime and call back duty
- Skill in the use of maintenance tools and equipment
Licenses and Certifications:
- Colorado Class B Commercial Driver's License with a good driving history
- Or the ability to obtain within six (6) months of the date of hire
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Heavy physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds with or without assistance
- Frequently carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- Considerable walking and standing
- Frequent pushing, pulling, and climbing including working from aerial lift up to 40 feet in height
- Hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of equipment and vehicles
- Vision to perform maintenance functions and operate equipment
- Hearing/listening for instructions and warning signals
- Works primarily outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to noise, dust, fumes, street traffic and materials used in traffic maintenance such as paint and chemicals
- Operates equipment and vehicles common to traffic signal repair and maintenance
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and attach related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.