City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Program Specialist - Horticulture Specialist
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
The Horticultural Specialist performs skilled manual and technical work involved in the maintenance of the Aurora Water-wise Garden, works with and helps train volunteers, assists in educating customers in water-wise principles and techniques and assists with work planning by scheduling, organizing, and securing materials and equipment for the accomplishment of assigned tasks. The candidate will be expected to work 40 hours a week from early April until mid-October, working up to two weekends per month.
Applications must demonstrate one-year experience in the maintenance and installation of landscapes and irrigation components, and general knowledge of Colorado friendly landscape principles and water-wise plants.
Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. The values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the city of Aurora, we value integrity, respect, professionalism and customer service as those core values and we attribute those values to our success as an organization, both as an employer and a servant of the community. If you hold these same values, we welcome you to apply.
This is a Seasonal position with NO benefits.
Aurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, treatment of drinking water and non-potable reclaimed wastewater for irrigation, billing and collection, public outreach and water conservation, acquisition and development of future water rights, major capital projects programs, and quality control for regulatory compliance and public health.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains existing garden beds and features
- Schedules, organizes, and secures materials for garden projects
- Installs and repairs an irrigation system
- Assists in organizing volunteer work projects and in training volunteers
- Educates garden visitors on water-wise principles and Aurora's water conservation programs
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School diploma or GED
- Previous horticulture or landscape installation and maintenance experience
- Irrigation system repair and installation and working in a team environment
- Knowledge of methods, techniques, and equipment used in xeriscape/water-wise landscaping, horticulture, irrigation, and applicable safety practices and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Maintain records and logs
- Make detailed observations of changing environments
- Perform activities common to the assigned maintenance function
- Ability to work independently and in a group setting
- Ability to work evenings as needed and up to two weekends per month.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Must exhibit strong customer service skills, volunteer coordination, public speaking, plant identification, and landscape design skills are highly desired.
Licenses and/or Certificates Required:
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving history
- This position requires the employee to wear protective clothing including durable trousers and safety-toe work boots
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Moderate to heavy physical work depending upon the assigned function
- May require the ability to lift a maximum of 80 pounds with assistance
- May lift and carry objects weighing up to 40 pounds without assistance
- Considerable walking, standing, and kneeling
- Frequently performs activities requiring a full range of body movement including bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and climbing
- Hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of tools, equipment, and vehicles
- Vision to read manuals
- Speech communication to communicate with employees and citizens
- Works primarily outdoors with exposure to all weather conditions, noise, dust, fumes, chemicals, plants, animals, and invertebrates.
- Operates tools, equipment, and vehicles common to landscape maintenance and irrigation system repairs
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans Preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, Employment References, and Education Verification:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies. Submittal of official transcripts of most relevant/highest level of education listed on the application.