City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Financial Analyst
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
Aurora Water is committed to enhancing and protecting the quality of life for Aurora citizens by providing safe, dependable and sustainable water, sewer and stormwater services, today and in the future. This position will be working in the Financial Operations team.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform professional level financial analysis and accounting work that may require business and technical specialization
- Independently prepare reconciliations and analysis of fund and account activity and balances; statements, schedules and work papers
- Independently prepare and analyze reports and projections for management review
- Independently identify, research and resolve problems and issues
- Independently implement and refine internal control systems and improve accounting
- Assist with the preparation of the City's annual comprehensive financial report
- Balances and maintains assigned general ledger accounts
- Provides grant management assistance to department, performs grant analysis as needed and assists in the City's annual single audit
- Good knowledge of principles, practices and requirements of accounting; governmental accounting standards; auditing practices
- Prior experience in Capital Asset Management
- Prepares reconciliations, analysis of funds, account activity and balances
- Performs other duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related field
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible analytical experience in accounting work, control of complex budgets and/or financial analysis.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (One or more of the following)
- State or Local government experience
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Internal Auditor
- Certified Government Auditor
- Have initiative, attention to details and the willingness to learn new skills
- Be analytical, proactive, fast learner, flexible, adaptable and motivated
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel & Outlook)
- Have the ability to utilize systems and data proficiently
- Have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and internal customers
- Have the ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with different personalities, various levels of management and a diverse team
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift 10 pounds with or without assistance Occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and standing
- Vision for reading, interpreting reports, and preparation of data analysis
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of computer
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees, and citizens
- Works in a clean, comfortable environment
- Personal computer and standard office equipment
For Veterans Preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.