Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Construction Management
at Gulliver Schools
About Gulliver Schools
Gulliver Preparatory School is a co-educational, non-profit organization that was established in 1926 in Miami, Florida and offers an integrated and comprehensive college preparatory program for grades PreK3 -12. One of the largest independent schools in Florida, Gulliver enrolls more than 2,200 students on four campuses. Our Mission is to create an academic community devoted to educational excellence, with a personal touch, that fulfills each student’s potential.
Gulliver is seeking a seasoned Executive Construction Project Manager to manage multiple construction projects associated with the repair, maintenance, beautification and expansion of campuses consistent with 21st century learning initiatives. Over the next 10 years our school is expecting to invest in excess of $100M in construction projects. This position is full-time and will be required to work a minimum of 40 hours per week.
Among the many duties and responsibilities duties will include:
- Develop project scopes and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility
- Manage multiple projects, extract synergies and coordinate the complex phasing/ongoing construction during the school year; Ensure safety of Gulliver students and staff at all times
- Develop a detailed project plans and budgets to track progress and comprehensive project documentation; Perform risk management to minimize project risks
- Solicit bids, analyze, select, manage and ensure all projects are value engineered/cost effective; Prepare cost estimates, budgets, and work timetables
- Track and report work progress/budget performance to management, Use appropriate verification techniques to manage changes in project scope, schedule and costs; Ability to write reports regarding construction progress, methods and other items.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret blueprints and legal documents
- Schedule and coordinate all construction processes so that projects meet optimal design specifications
- Coordinate with General Contractors, engineers, architects, other construction specialists, inspectors, attorneys and government agencies to ensure timely, efficient, compliance and progress and solutions; Interpret and explain contracts and technical information to other professionals
- Respond to work delays, emergencies, and other problems and create solutions to keep projects on track; Deliver projects on time within budget and scope
- Manage the implementation of our Master Plan. Responsibilities include overseeing the design and construction, managing stakeholders, architects, general contractors, attorneys, zoning officials, permit offices, city, county and state offices as required. Extensive interaction with Senior Management and the Board of Trustees.
- Supervises one Project Manager.
- 15+ years’ experience as a General Contractor or in a Construction Project Manager role; School construction experience highly valued.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Microsoft Project
- Bachelor’s degree in construction science, construction management, architecture, or engineering preferred
- Proven capability and direct experience managing high end, detailed construction projects of $30M+ construction value. Proven capability and knowledge of both civil and vertical construction means and methods.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expert in construction concepts
- Excellent knowledge of building and safety codes, and other regulations
- Experience working under tight time commitments given the need to utilize the school during normal teaching hours
- Ability to forge significant relationships with school Administration in order to obtain relevant buy-in, coordination of scheduling due to normal school hour requirements, needs of children and faculty at certain campuses, etc.
- Skilled at getting the best out of people in the projects they oversee; Able to push contractors, architects, et al to be creative, cost effective, efficient and perform according to timelines and budgets
- Analytical skills. Outstanding problem solving skills. Able to handle unexpected issues and delays, and solve problems that arise over the course of the project. Must be able to achieve goals via additional paths or approaches to cost effectively solve problems.
- Business skills. Solid skills in planning and budgeting
- Customer-service skills. In constant contact with Senior Management, inspectors, and other stakeholders. Must communicate work plans clearly
- Decision-making skills. Ability to make well framed decisions quickly to meet deadlines and budgets.
- Leadership skills. Ability effectively delegate tasks to construction workers, subcontractors, and other lower level managers. Excellent supervisory skills. Able to coach and mentor staff.
- Communication skills. Must give clear orders, explain complex information to construction workers and Management, and discuss technical details with other building specialists, such as architects.
- Negotiation skills. Expert negotiator programmed to get the best value at the best price.
- Technical skills. Must know construction methods and technologies, and must be able to interpret contracts and technical drawings.
- Time-management skills. Must be able to meet deadlines by ensuring construction phases are completed on time so that the next phase can begin as scheduled.
- Writing skills. Excellent writing ability for proposals, plans, and budgets. Ability to succinctly summarize complex issues and communicate with stakeholders
- Active, able to lift 50lbs
Criminal Background Check, Level II Fingerprint Screening, Drug screen
Gulliver Schools Inc. is an EOE M/F/V/D Drug Free Workplace