Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
0912 - Trades Maintenance Specialist (Refrigeration/HVAC)
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position, requiring on-call hours, is in the Pima County Facilities Management Department. OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Salary Grade: 41
Proof of certification will be required at time of interview.
Leads, participates, or operates independently in providing journey-level maintenance, repair, diagnosis, trouble-shooting, construction, fabrication and preventive maintenance. Requires technical skills, experience and knowledge in area of specialization, as well as training, lead or supervisory skills and knowledge. Accountable for activities and ensures services or products comply with written procedures, engineering drawings, specifications, contracts, industry standards and statutory codes and requirements.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
In Many Settings:
Performs skilled analysis and repair of equipment, systems and vehicles;
Leads others in highly skilled fabrication or modifications of existing or proposed equipment, facilities, systems or their components from verbal directions, sketches, plans, engineering drawings or technical references;
Inspects, services and maintains assigned tools, equipment and vehicles;
Performs quality control analysis on equipment or supported systems for proper functioning and performs remedial actions necessary to assure optimum operations;
Inspects, approves or certifies work of others (if certified or authorized to do so);
Maintains comprehensive activity, operations, service and usage records on supported vehicles, equipment and systems;
Prepares oral and written activity reports;
Prepares estimates for unique or complex operations, maintenance and special projects from rough sketches and engineering plans or drawings, and documents use and expenditure of materials, supplies and equipment;
Prepares sketches and drawings for work proposed or in-progress to communicate needed information to supervisors, subordinates and contractors;
Coordinates own or work-unit activities with other work-units, agencies or contractors to assure optimal use of available resources and to minimize disruptions of service or support;
Monitors contractor performance (including contractor-supplied goods and services);
Conducts on-the-job training for employees in assigned work-unit;
Stores, handles, uses and disposes of hazardous materials required, encountered or generated in work activities;
Maintains security and accountability for all tools, equipment and materials, particularly for work in medical, law enforcement, detention or correctional settings;
Maintains and uses safety and personal protective equipment;
Implements work-site traffic control procedures to ensure safety;
Explains rules, regulations or procedures to the public and other County employees for use of County facilities;
Collects, labels, transports and analyzes samples of fluids, solids, effluents, etc., encountered in work.
Facility/Grounds Maintenance Settings:
Supervises and participates in cutting, trimming, seeding, fertilization, and application of herbicides/pesticides to turf grasses, soils, trees and ornamental shrubs;
Identifies common and abnormal conditions and diseases of turf grasses, trees and ornamental shrubs and directs appropriate remedial actions.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- operation and maintenance of tools, equipment and materials encountered in area of assignment;
- effective lead, training and communications techniques;
- hazards and safety procedures or equipment required in the area of specialization or assigned areas;
- codes and standards applicable to the craft, trade, specialty or area of work assignment;
- basic contracting processes.
- performing journey-level tasks of the skill, trade, craft or area of specialization;
- following written and oral instructions;
- preparing working sketches, drawings and estimates of resources required for assigned projects;
- interpreting and applying required codes or standards to work situations;
- maintaining written documentation of activities;
- leading, supervising and evaluating the work of others;
- conducting and coordinating specialized and on-the-job training in the skill, craft, trade or area of specialization;
- communicating effectively.
- Minimum Qualifications
- (1) Completion of an industry-recognized apprenticeship program in refrigeration/HVAC and one year of journey-level experience in refrigeration/HVAC.OR:
(Relevant education may substitute for up to six months of the aforementioned experience.)
(2) Five years of journey-level experience in refrigeration/HVAC.
(Relevant education may substitute for up to two and one half years of the aforementioned experience.)
(3) Two years of experience with Pima County as a Trades Maintenance Technician in refrigeration/HVAC. Some positions may require additional specialized training and/or experience.
(Relevant education may substitute for up to one year of the aforementioned experience.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in diagnostics of refrigerant systems, HVAC and service work.
- Universally certified in proper refrigerant practices. (Copy of certification should be uploaded with application.)
- Experience with/knowledge of chillers, low temp, compressors, industrial and commercial systems, operation and maintenance.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Risk Management's review and approval of the candidate's driving record. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination.
Special Notice Items: Ability to obtain a jail pass and a post-offer physical is required.
Due to the need for access to law enforcement, detention or correctional facilities, some positions may require satisfactory completion of a personal background investigation by law enforcement agencies. Some positions carry the risk of exposure to infectious diseases, blood-born pathogens, asbestos or wastewater products, therefore special medical screening prior to or during employment may be necessary to assure employee health and safety.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Some positions require the ability to: lift and carry up to seventy-five pounds; safely operate assigned vehicles and other powered equipment; work in extremes of heat, humidity, dust, cold; safely wear required safety clothing/equipment; work with on in the presence of obnoxious odors; work with noxious or potentially hazardous chemicals, compounds or products; ascend and descend ladders and stairs to reach and work upon elevated or below-grade work platforms and job sites; differentiate between colors.