Salt River Project
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Principal Engineer - Substation Design
at Salt River Project
SRP is one of the largest public power and water utilities in the U.S. providing electricity to approximately one million customers in the greater metropolitan Phoenix area. Since its founding in 1903, SRP has fostered a culture of stewardship and customer service consistently ranking as an industry leader in customer service according to J.D. Power. SRP continues to adapt to its changing business environment by seeking innovative ways to reimagine utility service and the provision of critical resources essential to the life and economy of Arizona.
The successful candidate will serve as a leader and mentor to a team of engineers and designers. Will support and provides enhancements to processes including contractor guidelines, Engineering/Procurement/Construction contracts, interconnection requests, standards, design file reviews, capital budget estimating, and WAM estimating. Works closely with stakeholders to ensure design accuracy, address material procurement lead times and availability of manufacturer prints, and ensure scheduling metrics are met. Responsible for providing training specific to substation design as an integral part of an onboarding and training program.
- Performs as an engineering project/program leader/engineer on projects/programs which are large or have many complex features.
- Prepares specifications, evaluates bids, and prepares recommendation materials for management consideration when evaluating large or complex procurements.
- Performs as a staff consultant and/or advisor in a technical specialty.
- May performs engineering design, analysis, and studies in an area of technical specialty requiring a significant knowledge of related fields.
- Provides engineering discipline leadership when administering and reviewing work performed by consultants and others.
- May prepare and/or conduct written and oral reports and presentations.
- When required/requested, serves on industry committees and task forces as a representative of SRP.
- Active leadership role in promoting safety within department.
- Actively develops and trains engineers on technical, project management, and/or best practices related activities. Identifies or creates development opportunities.
- Establishes standards and facilitates Standards Change Processes in the discipline when required.
- Leads collaboration across SRP.
- Represents SRP in legal and regulatory matters or proceedings of technical nature when required.
- Demonstrates substantive thought leadership to further new ideas, products, services, and/or business processes to increase efficiency, effectiveness, and/or customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrates substantive leadership in organizational change management to foster the success of new business products, services, and/or business processes.
Responsible for budgets, schedules, and management of resources for programs and projects of major scope. Demonstrated network of internal and external contacts including customers, outside agencies, and suppliers of significant equipment and services. Occasional travel to suppliers' facilities, industry functions, and SRP facilities. Ability to work effectively with various organizations within SRP. Ability to use engineering tools required for the job. Must have a valid driver's license.
EITHER I OR II
I - Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited curriculum
1. Additional specialty training (MS Engineering, MBA, or 18 graduate level college semester hours from an accredited institution in an engineering related field)
2. State Professional Engineering Registration
II - State Professional Engineering Registration
Additional specialty training (18 graduate level college semester hours from an accredited institution)
Ten (10) years full time professional experience actively engaged in engineering practice.
Must have demonstrated the successful accomplishment of work as defined for this position.
Contributed to the authoring, publishing and/or presenting of internal or external technical papers.
Requisition ID: 9273
EOE - SRP encourages a diverse workforce
All candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Currently, SRP does not sponsor H1B visas.
Why Work at SRP
SRP's success is rooted in our employees' happiness, health and safety. That's why we offer a comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and enhance their well-being. In addition to competitive pay and performance incentives, eligible employees can take advantage of the following benefits:
* 401(k) plan with employer matching
* Retirement pension
* Paid vacation
* Parental leave
* Holiday pay
* Sick leave
* Medical, vision, dental and life insurance
* Wellness programs
* Pre-tax benefits
* Short and long-term disability plans
* Tuition assistance