San Jose, CA
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Air Conditioning Mechanic (Airport)
at San Jose, CA
The Mineta San Jose International Airport is seeking ahighly-skilled Air Conditioning Mechanic to perform work in the installation,operation, adjustment, troubleshooting, and maintenance of heating,ventilation, refrigerating and cooling (HVAC) systems, and all auxiliaryequipment including Building Management Systems (BMS), Power Management Systems(PMS), and Central Plant operations. This position may be required towork evenings, weekends and holidays.
Key responsibilities include:
- Operating,maintaining, and repairing mechanical equipment in Airport terminals andauxiliary buildings.
-Conducting periodic inspections of all stationary building equipment,diagnosing malfunctions, and ensuring compliance with preventive maintenanceschedules.
- Participatingin major overhaul work involving low pressure boilers, chillers, packaged A/Cunits, combination units, furnaces, heating units and large ventilation fans.
-Installing, maintaining, calibrating, and repairing electric, electronic,pneumatic and digitally controlled building automated and power managementsystems.
-Estimating necessary repair work, requisition supplies, materials and parts.
-Maintaining cooperative relations with building occupants, which may involveresponding to inquiries, and making adjustments, when appropriate.
- Ensuringthat equipment rooms and adjoining areas are kept clean and orderly.
- Managingwork orders for terminals and auxiliary buildings using the Computerized MaintenanceManagement System (CMMS).
- Preparingreports and maintaining records.
-Reconfiguring computer control strategy for building heating, ventilation, andair conditioning systems.
- Readingand interpreting blue prints, drawings, and specifications.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, asdemonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirablecompetencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicableprofessional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmentalprocedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughtsand facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use oflistening skills; displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
- Computer Skills - Experiencedwith common business computer applications including but not limited to: MSOutlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
- Customer Service - Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needsand deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
- Flexibility - Makes effective decisions and achieves desiredresults in the midst of major changes in responsibilities, work processes,timeframes, performance expectations, organizational culture, or workenvironment.
- Problem Solving - Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problemor issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; useslogic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems thatachieve the desired outcome.
- Team Work & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships withco-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and usingcollaboration and conflict resolution skills.
1. Education: Completion of certificate program in HVAC froman accredited college or university.
2. Experience: Three (3) years of increasingly responsible experience in theoperation, repair, and maintenance of heating, ventilating, refrigeration, andcooling systems which are common to large buildings.
3. Licenses or Certificates:
· Ability to obtain State of California driver's license.
· Possession of a Universal Certification for Chlorofluorocarbon(CFC) Refrigerants from the Environmental Protection Agency.
· As a condition of employment in some designated positions,possession of a valid State of California Class A or B driver's license withapplicable endorsements may be required.
To apply, please complete an application viathe City of San Jose's website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers. The final filing date for this jobannouncement is open until filled. Applications may be reviewed every two weeks from the posting date of this recruitment.
The selection process will consist of anevaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the applicationand responses to the Job Specific Questions. You mustanswer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy oryour application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from furtherconsideration. Only the candidates whose backgrounds bestmatch the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection processwill consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include apractical/writing exercise.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this,or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in thisclassification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additionalopportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
-Linkto Benefits page: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?NID=707
-Linkto Department website: http://www.flysanjose.com/