Sandoval Regional Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Charge Nurse Inpatient 4th-F/T
at Sandoval Regional Medical Center
Charge Nurse Inpatient 4th-F/T
|Department:||Inpatient 4th floor|
|Location:||Rio Rancho, NM|
Job Summary and Scope
Independently promote and restore patients' health through direct nursing care to assigned patients within the nursing process; collaborate with physicians and multidisciplinary team members. Work under the general nursing process while using independent judgment to assign nurses and technicians to assigned patients. Provide clinical leadership for other staff and serve as a clinical resource for staff. Serve as a role model to promote a positive work environment and quality patient care while utilizing SRMC Values and promoting SRMC’s mission and vision. The nature of the job is diverse with frequent new and varied work situations. The job involves a moderate degree of complexity. Patient care assignment may include adolescent, adult and geriatric age groups.
- POLICIES AND PROCEDURES - Maintain established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, and quality assurance programs
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT - Enhance professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, reading current literature, attending in-services, meetings and workshops.
- Report potential and actual patient safety, concerns, medical errors and or near misses in a timely manner thru the chain of command and document within the PSN system.
- Establish a compassionate environment by providing emotional psychological and spiritual support to patient, friends and families.
- Promote patient’s independence by establishing patient care goals; teaching patient, friends, identified lay caregiver and family to understand condition, medications, and self-care skills; answering questions.
- Maintain a cooperative relationship among health care teams and resolve patient problems and needs by utilizing multidisciplinary team strategies.
- Active participation in nursing strategic initiatives such as quality improvement and monitoring, TJC compliance, recruitment and retention of staff and patient and employee satisfaction.
- Delegate tasks and supervise the activities of other licensed and unlicensed care providers.
- Monitor and initiate corrective action to maintain the environment of care including equipment and material resources.
- Ensure ability to assess, initiate and document nursing assessment, plan of care, interventions, evaluation and re-evaluation of patient status
- Ensure ability to document and communicate pertinent information using computer and/or paper documentation tools in a timely and accurate manner.
- Utilize independent judgment assign nursing personnel and staff to specific patients.
- Designate shift and schedule assignments call in staff, send staff home and monitor attendance; assign duties in accordance with the plan of care, patient needs, and within the scope of staff qualifications and licensure/certification/registry and monitor completion of duties according to departmental and hospital policies.
- Act as a clinical resource and role model for department personnel.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
SRMC Core Values
Integrity: Our words and actions match our values
To Serve: We put the needs of others before our own
Excellence: We strive to exceed expectations and/or standards in every activity, every encounter, and every initiative
Safety/Quality: We provide evidence based care, programs, services, and an environment that achieves the best outcomes
Teamwork: We enjoy the ability and power to work collaboratively to deliver exceptional service
- Develop efficient organizational structure, supervise employees - select, train, educate, correct deficiencies, perform evaluations, issue discipline, counsel, schedule work assignments; encourage staff teamwork and growth initiatives.
- Assist in maintaining department budget goals by monitoring overtime, and unit supply use.
- Contacts are normally made with other within UNM-Sandoval
- Contacts are usually with own department staff and own supervisor
- Contacts frequently contain confidential/sensitive information necessitating discretion at all times
- Percentage of contacts by phone: 20%; percentage of contacts face to face: 70%; percentage of contacts by email: 10%.
- Percentage of contacts with patients: 80% and percentage with non-patients: 20%.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing
- Physiological knowledge
- Knowledge in bedside manner
- Knowledge in infection control
- Clinical Nursing Skills
- Skill in administering medication
- Multi-tasking skills
- Teamwork abilities
- Health Promotion and Maintenance abilities
- Patient assessment knowledge
- Critical thinking abilities
- Ability to remain focused and organized
- Ability to independently seek out resources
- Knowledge of scope of the Registered Nurse
Education: Registered Nursing program graduate
* Licensed Registered Nurse (RN) in the State of New Mexico or as allowed by reciprocal agreement by State of New Mexico
* CPR Certification or must obtain within thirty (30) calendar days of date of position
* ACLS Certification or must obtain within six (6) months of date of position
* Basic Arrhythmia Certification or equivalent within one (1) year of date of position
* RN Matrix - Complete and maintain unit/clinic based required certifications and competencies as listed in the department expectations and/or the unit/clinic education matrix
Preferred Educational/Experience Requirements:
* Bachelors Degree of Science in Nursing or higher degree
* Nationally certified in area of specialty
* 2 years recent experience in specialty area
* Dual Language Certification