South Peninsula Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
RN/HEALTH AND WELLNESS EDUCATOR (PCN 1116)
at South Peninsula Hospital
Work Hours: Variable
The ideal candidate will have experience in clinical settings as well as experience or training in health education, public health or wellness programs. Candidate must be highly motivated, skilled and comfortable in outreach and interactions with senior populations, and value partnerships and collaborations as an avenue for outreach. Since the primary responsibility of the position is outreach to the community, the job will require some evenings and weekend work.
The Community Health Educator will participate in promoting, maintaining and improving community wellness. This position will plan and implement educational programs to assess and meet the community health needs of the hospital’s service area, which are integral to the hospital’s strategic plan. This is an exempt and confidential position.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
This confidential position reports directly to the Public Relations Director. The Health and Wellness Educator will develop, promote, implement and evaluate health education programs that help employees, individuals, families and the community to maximize and maintain healthy lifestyles. The individual in this position will share educational resources and planning with the staff health educator, employee health nurse, human resources staff and other hospital and clinic based health educators. This position will participate in an ongoing community-wide health needs assessment and health improvement plan.
The Health and Wellness Educator is in frequent contact with the Employee Health Nurse, Staff Education Department, hospital employees, professional and ancillary medical staff, partners in healthcare, and community members. Every effort should be made to project a professional, positive, friendly image of the facility when communicating with these contacts. Every effort should be made to strengthen partnerships in the community.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Requires a current license to practice as a registered nurse in the state of Alaska.
- Must have the ability to plan, organize and present health education programs in the community based on the community’s identified needs.
- Must have education or experience in planning, implementation of or analysis of evaluations in the field of education or adult learning.
- Required to have Safe Sitter instructor card, or obtained within the probationary period.
- Speaking, listening, writing and organizational skills are required in order to communicate with employees and community about health and wellness offerings.
- Knowledge of current communication technologies (electronic newsletters, social media, etc.) is required.
- Prior experience organizing educational offerings is required.
South Peninsula Hospital is a combination 22 bed acute care hospital and 28 bed nursing home located on the southern end of the Kenai Peninsula. The position requires walking, sitting or standing for prolonged periods, and the ability to lift moderate loads up to 30 pounds without injury to self or others. Must be able to grasp, push, drive, reach and stoop/crouch. Working hours may fluctuate based on needs of department, employees and the community. The individual’s work location is adjacent to the Staff Education Department or Employee Health Nurse for the purpose of shared resources and dialogue between community education and staff education. Must maintain a valid driver’s license and utilize one’s own personal vehicle to effectively meet the demands of community education.