The Medical Center of Southeast Texas
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Pharmacist - PRN
at The Medical Center of Southeast Texas
Job Status: On Call
Job Reference #: 1900590
The Pharmacist fills medication orders/prescriptions, monitor patient medication therapies, counsel patients, document interventions, provide drug information, and supervise and direct support personnel. In the absence of a pharmacy supervisor or director, a pharmacist may be required to assume the essential responsibilities and perform the duties of the pharmacy supervisor.
The Pharmacist will enhance professional relationships with all departments, staff, and patients. Communicate effectively to promote clinical initiatives, provide patient care and education, and promote pharmacy initiatives. The Pharmacist will provide pharmaceutical care for patients of all ages: from infancy through geriatric. Maintain a professional presence throughout the hospital. Assure pharmacy services and activities are carried out to meet goals and standards of Steward Healthcare.
- Interprets medication orders/prescriptions (verbal and written) and enters to computerized patient medication profiles accurately
- Prepares and dispenses medications per orders/prescriptions written by licensed prescribers according to established policies and procedures
- Compounds and dispenses pharmaceuticals, including sterile, chemotherapy, and parenteral nutrition products accurately
- Issues controlled substances to patient care areas and maintains records as required by law
- Supervises and directs pharmacy support personnel. Verifies the activities of pharmacy technicians including medication preparation and use of Automated Dispensing Cabinets
- Ensures safe, appropriate, cost-effective medication therapies for patients according to established policies, procedures, protocols, and national guidelines
- Monitors drug therapy regimens for allergies, contraindications, drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, drug-laboratory test interactions, adverse drug reactions, appropriateness of drug and dose, and therapeutic duplications
- Supports the pharmacyGÇÖs pharmacoeconomic efforts and Antimicrobial Stewardship program
- Provides drug information, clinical consultation and clarification to practitioners. Suggests appropriate, cost-effective therapeutic alternatives to medical staff as needed
- Documents interventions accurately and appropriately
- Provides drug information to patients and their families
- Assists with purchasing activities and maintenance of adequate inventory level
- Inspects medication areas for outdated medications, proper storage of medications, proper medication administration records, and availability of reference materials
- Accepts and completes special duties to be performed on a regular basis. Examples include controlled substance accountability, record-keeping and reconciliation; crash cart inspection; quality assurance reporting; newsletter contribution and other special projects
- Participates in the development and presentation of orientation, education, and training programs to the pharmacy, medical, nursing, and other staffs
- Attends and participates in departmental meetings, in-services, and quality improvement programs
- Maintains all required training and education per department requirements.
- Adheres to hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Complies with all requirements related to risk management, safety, security, fire, and infection control. Complies with all applicable state, local and federal regulations
- Current license to practice Pharmacy in state and maintains all required CE
- Graduate of college of Pharmacy accredited by ACPE or equivalent
- Previous hospital pharmacy experience preferred
- Training and proficiency in age specific therapies for hospital patients
- Neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and/or geriatric
- Customer oriented at all times - must be diplomatic
- Work within a diverse workforce
- Pressure to perform in emergency situations
- Overall decision-making responsibility
- Constant interruptions
- Ability to handle multiple projects
Steward Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!