The Salvation Army - Southwest Division
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lifeguard II (Off Peak Season)
at The Salvation Army - Southwest Division
- Will give oversight to the day-to-day operations of the aquatic’s programs and facilities with the Aquatic Coordinator.
- Focus and manage decreased number of participants while maintaining focus and providing customer service excellence and assuring the safety of all.
- Maintain clear channels of communication with staff, volunteers and program participates. This may include writing of internal memos, weekly department meetings, work schedules, flyers newsletters and one on one discussion with Aquatic Coordinator.
- Enforces pool rules & regulations for the safety & convenience of the members
- Performs rescue and administers artificial respiration's, CPR, AED & first aid as needed.
- Will work in a cooperative manner with the other on-site directors of the program.
- Follow and enforce equipment checkout program. Report defects, necessary repairs, etc.
- Will attend all scheduled staff meetings and management team meetings when directed by the Aquatics Coordinator.
- See that all equipment assigned to the aquatic facilities is maintained and properly utilized.
- Maintain a professional attitude and approach to problem solving.
- See that all injuries are reported timely and according to procedure.
- Maintain a safe working environment.
- Create a positive experience for patrons through professional and courteous behavior.
- Teach swim lessons to preschool and school age children, levels 1-6.
- Teach aquatic exercise programs in deep and shallow water as assigned.
- Provide a program/class atmosphere that promotes and encourages inclusion and satisfaction to all participants.
- Provide excellent internal and external customer service. Create a positive experience for patrons through professional and courteous behavior.
- Participate in in-service training, orientations and other staff meetings as requested.
- Practice safe work habits and contribute to the safety of self, co-workers and the general public.
- Complete applicable reports and records.
- Ability to work effectively as a team player.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Assume a schedule of flexible working hours, including weekends and evenings.
- Maintain a neat, professional appearance.
- Report all harmful problems with facilities to the Aquatics Coordinator.
- Follow and ensure adherence to The Salvation Army Policies and Procedures.
- Maintain the Code of Ethics policy, which has been established for the Kroc Center.
- Other duties as assigned as they relate to the positions of Lifeguard II during the off season.
Skill / Requirements
- Possession of current certificates in Starfish Aquatics Institute StarGuard, American Red Cross First Aid or First Aid for Public Safety Personnel (Title22) or above; CPR for the Professional Rescuer (CPR Pro), and Lifeguard Training, ACE, AFAA or ACSM. Equivalent training certificates will be accepted.
- Must possess or obtain StarGuard Swim Instructor certification within 90 days of being hired.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Must have the ability to swim with proficiency and endurance. Organize and direct activities, analyze situations and adopt a quick and effective course of action; maintain constant observation of assigned area to identify any signs of danger or distress, effectively teach aquatic skills.
- Must have the ability to swim with proficiency and endurance. Must successfully complete a 300-yard swim in less than 10 minutes and tread water with a brick for 5 minutes.
- Must have a minimum of a year or more experience as a certified lifeguard.
- Meet and deal tactfully and effectively with the public; work cooperatively with others; analyze situations and adopt a quick and effective course of action; and maintain constant observation of an assigned area to identify any signs of danger.
- Must be in good physical and mental health, capable of meeting the demands of the center’s swimming pools.
- Have the ability to work with children, parents, and staff in a capacity of leadership, counseling and education including but not limited to:
- Ability to relate joyfully and sensitively to children of all ages.
- Sensitivity to children’s individual needs.
- Ability to use appropriate positive discipline consistently.
- Ability to handle security and crisis situations, calmly.
- Ability to seek supervision and use it consistently.
Physical Requirements: Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms on a continuous basis. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 60 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to operate telephone, a desktop or laptop computer, as well as the ability to access and produce information from a computer, and to understand written information.
Mission Statement: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.