Washington Elementary School District #6
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Trade Specialist - Irrigation I
at Washington Elementary School District #6
Accountable To: Maintenance Plumbing Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Creation/Revision Date: March 1, 2020
Summary: Under general direction, incumbent(s) manages the district’s irrigation and control system. Including, but not limited to, sprinkler heads, automation clocks, irrigation line leaks, irrigation main line install and repair, troubleshoots and repairs electrical components, locates, excavates, installs timers, piping, and valves, and repairs/replaces damaged or malfunctioning wires and/or equipment. Effectively assesses water efficiency and makes adjustments to quickly correct over and under-watering. Incumbent will use his/her knowledge to solve problems and complete repairs with minimal impact to site, staff, and students.
- Maintains district-wide irrigation systems, including irrigation controls, timers, and repairs, replaces, and adjusts sprinkler heads. Diagnoses, repairs, and/or replaces leaking irrigation lines/main lines. Installs new irrigation piping. Performs general and seasonal system maintenance.
- Troubleshoots malfunctioning irrigation timers, wire breaks, solenoids, and irrigation valves. Locates low voltage electrical wires and breaks in line. Performs routine maintenance and preventative maintenance on district irrigation systems with minimal impact to site, staff, and students.
- Maintains tools and/or equipment for the purpose of ensuring the availability of equipment in safe operating condition. Fabricates PVC piping, fittings, and valves, as needed.
- Informs personnel regarding procedures and/or status of work orders, for the purpose of providing information for making decisions, taking appropriate action, and complying with health and safety regulations. Assists and supports other trades personnel in the completion of their work activities.
- Oversees the District’s irrigation equipment to include evaluating current equipment, and identifying and resolving related problems.
- Records and submits all required job task information, including materials, labor hours, and action taken on the district’s work order system. Reviews assigned tasks in the district work order system, and is attentive to outstanding work orders.
- Completes daily paperwork, as required by each job. Performs accurate and timely record keeping. Purchases repair parts and maintains an accurate inventory.
- Performs periodic and random inspections of the district’s irrigation and controls system. Maintains inspection reports and records, and advises supervisor of deficiencies and remedial efforts to improve deficiencies.
- Develops, updates, and maintains posted operating instructions for the district’s irrigation controls and schedules. Coordinates technical writing and placement of instructions at district facilities, with standards set forth by supervisor.
- Performs other duties as required.
To be eligible for this position, an applicant must meet the following required qualifications. Verification of these required qualifications is necessary.
- High School diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) prior to being hired;
- Five years of verifiable irrigation and controls repair experience, with continuously increasing technical responsibilities;
- Valid Arizona Department of Transportation Driver’s License prior to hire.
- Basic plumbing knowledge
It is preferred that applicant possesses the following preferred qualifications; however, the following qualifications are not required to be eligible for this position.
- Possesses credential(s) from an accredited trades school;
- Five (5) years of verifiable irrigation and controls repair experience, with continuously increasing technical responsibilities.
- Valid Arizona Department of Transportation Commercial Driver’s License.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications for this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills required, but not limited to, for this position include:
- Understanding of irrigation and controls, troubleshooting, and repair;
- Understanding and proficiency in reading schematics for irrigation systems and controls;
- Understanding of technical manuals, specifications, and manufacturer’s technical updates;
- Identifying and proficiently using the tools and equipment necessary for proper maintenance;
- Proficiently comprehending and implementing system options to maximize useful life of equipment;
- Understanding and proficiently applying minor repair functions, in areas such as carpentry, electrical, plumbing, roofing, HVAC, etc.;
- Scheduling and monitoring work performance;
- Setting up and maintaining records;
- Using computer software-related programs;
- Engaging and encouraging communication skills, while interacting with supervisors, staff, students, etc. to exchange information.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The working environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold; extreme heat; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Contact Information
Friday, March 6, 2020 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)